Donut Babies ~ A long time ago…

What do you think? This is not a tool or tool for carrying donuts! But for those serving in Vietnam, it’s like saying to a modern ham — I used my Nano VNA and there would be instant communication.

So, the OK Donut Dollies were YLs who were part of the American Red Cross and served ‘in the country’ and their job was to boost morale by serving donuts to the service personnel stationed there.

I actually saw Donut Dollies in Chu Lai in mid-1965. However, YLs must be sampling the product because it was clear that several pounds had been gained in a short period of time. But they were still nice and made living in a trench and eating C Rations a little more bearable. BTW guys, C Rations were the predecessors of the MREs.

After about 4 months, we switched to B rations. This is where a whole chicken comes in a can and no matter how you cook the chicken, it tastes like canned! That’s when I learned a real delicacy. A sandwich with canned chicken, peanut butter, and jelly! Yum!

You’ve never lived until you heat and cook breakfast Turkey Noodle Loaf on a stove you’ve built. The can opener I carry with me is still on my key chain. I have tags in the same chain.

I read in an internet article today about a man who was tracking down Donut Dollies, whom he met in 1971. –This friend of mine was 50 years ago. A lifetime ago.

So you’re wondering…

A Donut Dolly.

This Is Not a Donut Dolly!

(Photo was taken before the heat sinks were installed!)

73s

Pete N6QW

NEXT ARTICLE Next Post
PREVIOUS ARTICLE Previous Post
NEXT ARTICLE Next Post
PREVIOUS ARTICLE Previous Post